Thursday, February 01, 2007

Flat on my face

I'm not supposed to be blogging right now. I'm supposed to be talking with a room full of folks about the spirituality of the TV show "Lost". Only there's no one here. It' s just me and my beer- which is a very fine beer, I might add. Sweetwater 420 Pale Ale. But, as is typical of this night, the tap was busted, so it's in a bottle instead of draft. Figures.

This is the part of starting a church that drives me nuts. The good ideas that everyone seems to think are good ideas that may, in fact, even be good ideas, that fall flat on their face, and me with them. OK, in the grand scheme of things it's not that horrible. But it is frustrating, embarrasing, and a big waste of time. Or is it? Is God doing something here that I don't know and can't see? I certainly hope so, but right now all I've got is a beer, a bunch of empty seats, and a belief that God is somehow, someway going to build this church.

And if you're looking at the previous post and thinking "Wow, he just went from one end of the spectrum to the other," welcome to my life. Stick around a while. Heck, you may as well have a beer. But just so you know- right now the tap seems busted.

1 Comments:

At 8:41 PM, February 01, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't really have anything profound to say, but I do want to tell you that I know how you feel. I know that it's discouraging. (Remember Total Family Sunday School?) Your title says "Flat on my face," which implies that you feel you've failed somehow. Try not to take it personally. It sounds like an interesting topic - maybe the lack of attendance was due to the yucky weather. Or maybe everyone knew the tap was broken. :)

To quote Louise (quoting you!) from the latest newsletter: "Each day is a new day, like Easter, when all the problems of yesterday are put aside, and today is a fresh start." Those are encouraging words!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home