Wednesday, November 29, 2006

What a mess

This new church is messy. Almost every new person I meet I'm interrupting, whether it's by knocking on their door, calling, meeting them at Bagel Boys, whatever. Whenever we invite people to do something with The River, we're asking them to choose that over something else. When we ask for offerings, we're asking them to choose to give money here over buying something.

These are not simple choices. They are complicated, involving lots of reasons, rationales and whatnot. No matter how many times I ask the same thing, I never get the same answer. Everyone is different, with their own life and their own reasons for making the choices they do, and there's so much stuff in people's lives that when I try and get my brain around it, I just can't figure it out. The whole thing just seems like a big mess.

The great shock, though, was realizing that the last church I was at didn't seem messy. I wondered why. What was different about that community? The conclusion I came to was that that last community was just as messy, and since it had more people it was probably messier! The difference was that I didn't know it, because it looked neat. We had programs that ran smoothly. We had worship that went smoothly. The office and staff ran smoothly. All of it was nice, neat, and it looked tidy.

I now realize that that was a facade. The people were just as messy, it only looked neat because the programs looked neat. I don't know whose fault that is, or that it's really anyone's fault. But it seems to me that if you make 'church' equate to 'programs', then it will look neat and tidy if you have neat and tidy programs. Meanwhile, the people themselves may be a mess, but no one will ever know. Some like it that way.

Me, I do not like it that way. I don't think that's the way Jesus lived, and I don't think that's how he wants us to live. Jesus welcomed the interruption of people's messes, and even sought them out. His ministry was not programs; near as I can tell, he never ran one. His ministry was conversation and relationships. His ministry was people, in all their messiness.

So I'll take the mess. I'll take the mess over the neat, tidy, facade that all is well. I'll take it because that's who we are. Messy, broken, confused, people- myself included. That's humanity for ya. To pretend otherwise is to deny who we are, and puts us in a place where we don't need God because we can keep things neat by ourselves.

Well, I need God. I am a mess. So is my new church. And I wouldn't want it any other way.

4 Comments:

At 12:36 PM, November 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you come down a little hard on the programs and the people in your last church.

Yes the people were / are just as messy - it is not their fault that you were looking at the programs and not the people.

There is also another difference - those people for the most part had already made room for Christ and worship in their lives. The unchurched are being asked to make room.

I guess it might also mean that the people in your last church were allowed to be too comfortable - not asked to grow - so they stayed comfortable in their programs.

All conjecture of course....

 
At 7:50 AM, December 13, 2006, Blogger River Pastor said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 7:54 AM, December 13, 2006, Blogger River Pastor said...

Whoops...sorry for that deletion about...lets try this again...

I agree that the fault was mine for looking at the facade and not the "mess" underneath. Most things have a facade, and for awhile that was what I chose to look at. My point was that in The River I don't have the option to look at the facade, because there is none whatsoever. As we grow, some kind of facade will inevitably develop. I hope I can continue to see past it and not make the same mistake I did last time.

 
At 8:33 AM, December 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ALL churches are messy. I agree. Good for you that you can face the mess, especially the ones you make. Good for us that the Lord applies some "fuller soap" to clean us up. BTW, I actually have a "river" in my back yard that washes away the messes in my mind & heart. The very sound of the whitewater is cleansing. You are welcome to "retreat" there when you need to.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home