Tuesday, August 07, 2007

A trip to the beach and a nice whack on the head

We've been in a bit of rut lately. And it's not just that there have not been a lot of new faces in The River, but that I have found myself increasingly spending time doing 'office' work and not out meeting people. I've been in kind of a funk, because it's not just that I haven't been out meeting people. I haven't been motivated to go out and meet new people. That's what I loved at first about The River- that I was supposed to be out meeting people instead of sitting in some office. But it's so different, and the adjustment took a larger toll than I thought. It got kinda tiring. So I lapsed into what I knew, and here I was doing office work. Doing that which I had taken this job to avoid simply because it felt normal and comfortable when I was tired.

Well, I'm not so tired any more. I spent a week at the beach doing nothing, and I got a solid recharge. It was great. A week of doing nothing. Just watching the ocean, thinking about how it doesn't change, thinking about how God doesn't change. Then I got this sent this article here, and it was a whack on the head that I didn't need to change what I had been doing either.

Please read the article. If you do, you will glimpse how The River got started. It got started through relationships and conversations about faith. Not a program, not an attraction, but by relationships and conversations. And as I read the article, I realized I had done a lot of that stuff. Turns out I'm good at getting to know people. It's one of my gifts. So is having conversations about faith. And I need to use that gift. So I'm gonna take some of those suggestions and go out and meet some new folks or get to know some other folks better. I'm going to go back to what got us here, and The River will grow.

Meantime, I need to figure out how to help the other folks in The River do this sort of thing. Because WOW, if we could all do that, what a miracle that would be! God's kingdom would grow by leaps and bounds. It was would be amazing. A real, true miracle of God's grace. One that got restarted by a trip to the beach and a whack on the head.

1 Comments:

At 5:40 PM, August 07, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a good article. Glad you had a good time at the beach and that the whack on the head wasn't a physical one! :) The next time we talk, I need to tell you about some CDs I listened to about this very thing - getting out to where the unchurched are.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home