Thursday, May 03, 2007

Are we trendy?

I went to a retreat last week at Holy Trinity retreat center in Alabama, and it was a nice chance to catch up with other pastors starting churches and connect with them and God. It was refreshing, rejuvenating, and relaxing.

But when I walked into the retreat center, I took a look around and thought "This is nice, but it is so 1960's." Which is weird, because I usually don't think like that. It was amazing- I expected to hear The Beatles and see some long haired, bell bottom wearing Jesus Freaks come walking around the corner. It was just that palpable. Which is fine. It didn't bother me.

But it did get me thinking about The River. Is what we're doing a trend? Will we go the way of bell bottoms and hippy hair? Or will we be more like The Beatles, whose relevance has continued to the present day and will continue beyond? Part me thinks we're the Beatles, because a lot of what we are doing is not new, it is really very old and has simply been rediscovered.

That's just conjecture, though. The truth is I have no idea how we will be viewed in the years to come. All I know is that what we are doing today matters for the folks who are doing it today. Tomorrow will take care of itself. I would love to think that this is part of a larger movement to restore and rejuvenate the Christian church, but that's not for me to do or decide. That's up to God. My focus is on the people around me, and what we are doing matters to them, and that's what matters most to me.

Yet still I wonder...will someone see us in 40 years and think "That is so 2007"? And will I care?

Check back here in 40 years, and I'll let you know!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home