Thursday, August 30, 2007

Prayer & fasting

Today I tried fasting and praying for the first time. I'd prayed before, but never fasted. It wasn't a marathon or anything; only about an hour and a half. But given the spiritual shenanagins going on, I thought it was time to give it a try.

It was definitely an experience. I was focused, and the Holy Spirit showed up in a powerful way.
As part of that experience, the Spirit led me to read Ephesians. Yes, the whole thing. It's really not that long. It was just what I needed to read.
I think vigilance will be required in the weeks ahead, but I also think I did more for this ministry in that hour and a half than the whole rest of this month put together. I'm not going to run out and do it again tomorrow. I think the reason it was so powerful is that God was calling me to do it. But now I know what it's like, and how great it can be, and I look forward to doing it again.

3 Comments:

At 10:46 PM, September 01, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but I find it hard to understand how an hour and a half amounts to "fasting". Isnt' that just not eating for an hour and a half? Unless you eat every 10 minutes, I don't see how going without food for 90 minutes can be so significant.
Also, about your previous post...bottled water keeps (last I checked) and you might not be up against "spiritual shenanagins," rather, you might have run into the answered prayers of millions of other Georgians who have been suffering from this terrible drought. How dare you moan about this minor (in the grand scheme of things) inconvenience when farmers everywhere are struggling to water crops and care for animals.
May the Holy Spirit grant you true patience and the wisdom to see the bigger picture and not feel so personally attacked by events of everyday life.

 
At 7:11 AM, September 06, 2007, Blogger Tex said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 7:23 AM, September 06, 2007, Blogger Tex said...

It fascinates me how many people tend to be quick to judge based on limited information, but slow or uninterested to ask questions or find out more of the story before rendering judgement. I wonder if much of the religious bickering (including fanatacism) in the world is due to this selfish tendency. Why is it so difficult to get past our egos?

When I skim through Ephesians, I get the impression of Paul giving his church a pep-talk... 'Arm yourself with God and it will all work out'. So while anonymous seems to have missed the point of the blog entry, he/she does illustrate an important concept: keeping the big picture in mind, which in this case is growing the Kingdom of God. To use Paul's metaphor, don't sweat the battles, keep focused on the war.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home