Monday, July 14, 2008

Walking with your eyes closed

On the 4th of July, my two and half year old son freaked out at the fireworks. Again. So I had to carry him 1.5 miles home. Again. I swore up, down, leftways and sideways that I wouldn't do that again this year, and here I was doing it again. Because I thought he might enjoy the fireworks for a change, and I love him.

Anyway, we were about halfway home when the fireworks actually started. I was holding him on my front, and he closed his eyes to keep the fireworks out. After awhile my arms were getting tired, so I put him on my shoulders. He kept his eyes closed. A little while longer and I had to put him down to walk, and as we started walking I looked down and he still had his eyes closed! We did that whole routine again before we got home- front, shoulders, walking, and then even front again, and he kept his eyes closed the whole time. It wasn't until I said "Turn around, open your eyes, we're home" that he finally opened his eyes.

Since then, I've had a lot of thoughts about this. One is that carrying a two and a half year old 1.5 miles isn't fun. Two is that I'd do it again if I had to because I love the little guy. I'd carry him until I fell over.

But the main thing I've been thinking about is him walking with his eyes closed. That's not something most adults would do. Then again, most adults wouldn't close their eyes because they are afraid of fireworks. Yet our eyes are closed to most of what is going on around us. We can't see it. We can't see the big picture, the big plan, we just walk with our eyes closed. We have no choice.

My son had me there to guide him. To tell him when to turn, when to step up, when to move to the side one way or the other. If I hadn't been there, he would have wandered into a building, a tree, or the road. It was a busy road, so...yeah. Not something I want to think about. But he didn't because I was there, and he held my hand, and he didn't let go. Not even for a second. He held on, and he kept his eyes closed, and he knew I would get him home safe.

Lots of people talk about faith. My son walked it. He literally 'walked the walk' of faith. My two and a half year old. It was something I don't think I'll ever forget, and even though it took my back two days to recover, it was worth it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home