Wednesday, January 02, 2008

My role in the community

I was at a buddy's wedding two weekends ago. Even though he's not Christian, he asked me to do the wedding. There are several reasons he asked me to do this, and some of them are very good reasons. I performed the wedding, and I'm glad I did. One of the reasons he asked me is simply that I'm a pastor, and pastors do weddings. In his mind, that's part of my role in the community. Just as a firefighter fights fires and teacher educates children, I do weddings.

While there, I had a great conversation a woman whose job is to connect those needing free health care with providers willing to give it to them. We got talking about community service organizations, and what it's like giving something away when you know people are taking advantage of you. I shared that I will always give away food, no matter who asks or why. Her response was "Of course- that's your role in the community."

The lack of spirituality in their perception of my job was disturbing. I help people as a spiritual imperative that comes out of my relationship with Jesus Christ, not because it's my 'role'. I do weddings for Christians because they want God to bind them together, and my presence (as a pastor, not as 'me') helps them do that where no other job holder could.

I think this points to the fact that 'spirituality' and 'pastor' are not linked in the minds of people outside of Christianity. When people who are not Christian seek meaning and answers in life, they will turn to all kinds of places before they look to a pastor. We are not viewed as spiritual mentors and leaders by non-Christians. That's really annoying, because God put me on this earth to help people outside existing Christian communities grow deeper in their own personal faith. But the very people I'm trying to reach don't seem to be looking to me for that.

Problem is, what other title is there? Pastor Karen Ward at Church of the Apostles in Seattle goes by "Abbess," like in a monastery. Somehow, I don't think that work too well in Alpharetta :-). River guide? I like that image, it fits with our metaphor, but it would take so much explaining that it makes me tired just thinking about it. So I don't really know what to do...which means I'll probably stick with just plain old 'pastor,' and do my best to let folks know who I am and what that means for me. I hope that some day the word 'pastor' can become more associated with spirituality, but in the meantime I'm hoping I can use one to be the other for people. Use the way I am viewed in the community to get the word out that I am here to help people with their spirituality.

That's the hope, anyway. I'll let you know how it goes.

5 Comments:

At 2:02 PM, January 09, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's very interesting and thought provoking. It never dawned on me that people don't see pastors as spiritual leaders/mentors.

 
At 6:38 AM, January 10, 2008, Blogger River Pastor said...

Me neither.

 
At 7:21 AM, January 10, 2008, Blogger Tex said...

Here's a question: What is the difference between 1) developing a relationship with God and 2) helping others (e.g. handing out food)?

And a comment: I have encountered a not-insignificant number of folks who avoid either Christianity or at least traditional-churches not out of ignorance, but because they think it is wrong or misguided. That is, they were involved in some point and then something they encountered in it turned them off -- i.e. the *de*-churched.

The term "pastor" has baggage -- both good and bad, depending on your perspective. But I too don't have a clue for a better alternative, except for maybe "spiritual leader/guide". I suppose the most appropriate title depends on the perceptions of who you are addressing.

 
At 11:04 AM, January 10, 2008, Blogger Bicycle Pastor said...

Is resolution #7 ringing in your ears? One that convicts me: what would your friends say you do as a pastor, besides work only one day a week?

 
At 7:21 AM, January 23, 2008, Blogger River Pastor said...

tex: I just went to a conference where a speaker observed that Jesus spent his time with the poor. Then he said that if we who are not poor want to find Jesus, that's where he'll be. That knocked my socks off.

But I think that if there is a difference between handing out food and growing in your relationship, it exists in the heart of the giver. I've given and grown, I've given and not grown. I think why we do it and what we are looking for determines if there is a difference, or if they are the same.

bicycle pastor: it is indeed, because I think they'd say I conduct worship and maybe take care of people when they're sick. Other than that, I bet they don't have a clue.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home