Wednesday, January 02, 2008

New Years resolutions

I don't usually do these, but then I thought "Well, why not?" I couldn't come up with a good answer, so here goes. These are in 'stream of consciousness' order, which is to say 'no order at all'.

1. Clean my house. Now I know what you're thinking: does that have to do with The River? Well, if there's one thing I learned in seminary (and it might be only one) it's that I have to have my own act together before I can be effective. And the house is a wreck.

2. Exercise more. Take more walks, do some more Yoga. Maybe even swim more in the summer. Same reason as #1. However, I will NOT be joining a gym or starting running. Yuck.

3. Plan ahead better. As we're growing, there are more people wanting (and needing) to do ministry. If I can be a better planner, our overall ministry will be more effective.

4. Pray more, and read my bible more.

5. Pray that God either finds someone to lead a Family Cluster or gives me the patience to deal with it not happening.

6. Do even more community outreach.

7. Be more active in witnessing to my friends. I'm still a little skittish, and I need to just walk off the proverbial cliff without looking around so much.

8. Work with the Vision team to figure out who 'The River' is, then to figure out where God wants us to go.

9. Watch more foreign films and HBO shows. There's a lot of thought provoking movies made overseas. I enjoy Hollywood drivel, but I also like movies that make me think. And HBO puts out some of the most compelling characters and stories on TV. They contain much truth about humanity, and thus really make me think about my relationship to God.

10. Do more for North Fulton Community Charities. I think we can really do a lot to help them, and it's a tremendous opportunity to really make a difference and also to show folks who we really are.

11. Start bowhunting again. Now that the kids are sleeping all night, I'd really like to get out in the woods and commune with God by killing Bambi. When I'm in the woods hunting, I feel like I'm participating in something God made me to do. But it's simple and peaceful and calm, unlike most of the other things I do. OK, so the actual killing part isn't very peaceful, but the fifty hours waiting for Bambi to walk by sure are.

So there you go. Eleven things I'd like to do in 2008. They're actually all realistic, so I don't have any excuses. Especially when it comes to cleaning the house.

1 Comments:

At 7:52 AM, January 02, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good resolutions! I suffer from the house problem, too. For each day in January, I've decided to clean out one drawer, one cupboard, or work on one pile of junk for 10 minutes. In February, I might do the same to the basement. And so on... So far, so good, but it is only January 2. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home