Tuesday, October 27, 2009

What Next?

For those who do not know, our national church recently passed a resolution allowing churches to choose to call pastors who are gay or lesbian and in a relationship. Before, you could be gay or lesbian, just not in a relationship. Now you can do both. They also passed a resolution allowing churches that wish to do unions. Oddly, there doesn't seem to be much of a fuss about that. All the fuss is about gay and lesbian pastors.

What's disturbing to me is the reaction of those who have "lost" the debate. This debate has been going on for years, thirty or more, though it only became a major issue in the past ten. But for thirty years, a group of folks in my denomiation thought the old policy excluding actively gay pastors was against scripture. What did they do about it? They did what Christ would have done. They were kind. They spoke the truth of their convictions, but did so in a loving and gracious manner. Most importantly, though, they stayed. Despite feeling marginalized, disliked and sometimes despised, they suffered the slings and arrows and stayed. They turned the other cheek, continued speaking the truth as they saw it in love, and they stayed.

Some who have recently "lost" the debate- who oppose the new policy and like the old one- are forming their own group. They are considering leaving our denomination. Not all, but some. They think the denomination has turned it's back on the bible and on them, and some have already left. Others will undoubtedly be following.

It's stunning.

On one side is a group that conducted themselves in a Christ-like manner for thirty years, and now the folks on the other side can't even do it for thirty days. The irony is inescapable- those who object to the new policy because of scripture fail to understand one of the most basic parts of Jesus message. Which is that Jesus calls us to die for him, not pack up our toys and go find people who agree with us. If they truly loved their neighbor as themselves, they would stay. Graciously, humbly, kindly, they would stay, and they would struggle to help a church that they think has lost it's way find it again. But they keep leaving.

It saddens me to see them go, but it's nothing new. It's the same thing that keeps many people away from church: we talk about love, but we really only love those who agree with us. That's easy. Loving those who disagree with you, that's hard. But it's what Jesus calls us to do.

I like the current policy. I disagree with those who are leaving. According to them, that makes me a heretic. I can live with that. I can even live with them while knowing they think that. I just wish they could live with me too.

6 Comments:

At 11:25 AM, October 27, 2009, Blogger tixie said...

well said, my friend, well said...

 
At 8:15 PM, November 01, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually I agree with the folks who are leaving. I think the bible is very clear on the issue of homosexuality, and the Lutherans have indeed turned their back on the bible, and thus theoretically God by extension.

I understand why they are leaving - it's one thing to seek change in an organization, its entirely another to try and get that same organization to reverse a definitive ruling they *just* made. They can still serve God in a new group, and by disassociating themselves with this latest perversion they will not support heresy in the eyes of God.

Personally I feel that homosexuals should be able to do all the same things and have all the same rights as heterosexuals, and that is just another reason I am not a Christian. The bible is clear, and I find this clearly unacceptable.

 
At 7:21 AM, December 09, 2009, Blogger River Pastor said...

I find it interesting that you find it unacceptable that the ELCA is acting against the bible's teaching on homosexuality, yet you support those leaving acting against the bible's teaching on relationships. Which, now that I think about it, was really my point: it's ridiculous to complain that someone is not following the bible and then do it in response. If they want to show the ELCA the biblical path, they need to follow it completely. Especially when it's new and fresh, because that's when it's hardest.

 
At 5:31 PM, December 09, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what you mean by the bible's teaching on relationships. Being unfamiliar with the relevant verses, I am unable to comment as to which seems more significant in this case. I will however tentatively submit that the same rules governing relationships may not technically apply in the case of "heretics." I would be interested to hear even a paraphrasing of these verses in order to fully comprehend your point.

 
At 12:17 PM, December 27, 2009, Blogger River Pastor said...

Sure thing. The one that comes to mind in particular is 1st Corinthians 13:4-7. That verse reads this: "Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. Love does not demand its own way. Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged. It is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance." It is particularly appropriate here because the greek word for love used here is 'agape'. It refers specifically to love between different people in a community who are not family or "in love".

 
At 8:53 AM, January 02, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like that quote, and while I do think there are circumstances where this kind of enduring love is impractical, irresponsible, or dangerous, I do not think this is one of them. I'd like to see more of that attitude from the various churches, but I'm afraid in far too many congregations it is woefully under-emphasized. I can certainly see your point.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home