Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Trolled by the AJC

I got an interesting call from the AJC today. The reporter called to ask if we were planning to leave the ELCA over the recent vote to allow churches that wished to call gay pastors. Here's the conversation:

Reporter: "Hi, my name is (I don't remember her name), and I'm an AJC religion reporter doing a story on Lutheran churches, and I was wondering if your church was planning on leaving the ELCA because of the recent policy changes regarding homosexuality."

Me: "No, we really don't.'

Reporter: "Oh. Well, do you know any churches that are?"

Me: "You mean in Atlanta?"

Reporter: "Or anywhere in Georgia."

Me: "No, I really don't. Most that I know of are in the west."

Reporter: "OK, thanks. Bye."

End of conversation.

Obviously, this reporter was fishing for churches that are leaving. I'm not sure why. Maybe there aren't many, so they're harder to find. Maybe she's digging for controversy, and since I don't have a problem with it and my church doesn't either there's nothing to talk about. I dunno. But it can be interesting dealing with the media when they're after something specific because they don't care what you say if it's not what they're looking for. Which is a bummer, because I would have loved to tell her that we'll gladly welcome anyone. But she wasn't interested. Oh well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home